prewalkupied
Butte walk notes:
Forgot to check the Cedar Grove area for chainsaw work, and forgot to take a camera to document the planned burn... But I remembered my aspirin and had no head twinges.
I went up to the Orchard Trail loop, went around it to the east side, and then on my way back took the Wild Hawthorn. That connected to the Black Tailed Deer trail, which I took to the Ellis Street entrance (Ellis & 145th).
Twice today I've smelled the odor of paint VOCs... Once at the end of the block, once at the top of the hill. I haven't identified who's painting their house yet, though.
Horse shoe prints in the powdery dust of a trail are sweet.
Not a very relaxing walk, mentally. I'm preoccupied with Facebook and email and how much time they have the capacity to suck up. I've only just dipped my toe into the world of "social networking" and so far... Is "loathe" too strong a word?
I never liked chat rooms. Facebook seems just as shallow -- but with gew-gaw on the sidebar.
It seems like everyone's doing it... Which forces me to ask myself: what is it that makes me different? Or what am I going to *say* makes me different, if I decide to walk out of that room?

3 Comments:
i'd say facebook isn't my idea of -community-, but then then the ones i've tried to start haven't been successful over the long term. but the fact that facebook -is- casual is a bonus for me. as you know, one of my frustrations w/ many people is how invisible you are if you're not right there in front of them. this keeps me visible with a minimum amount of investment. part of what makes facebook appealing to me in a way no other social networking site does is it emphasis on playing -- i like playing! so it's not like i'll find myself having long epistolatory romances on facebook, but i like being able to quickly comment, give gifts, and play games with people.
but yeah, if you hate it, get out: no reason to spend your time resenting it. :)
Those are very good points! OK, I'm going to hang out a while longer and give it a chance. Maybe I'll find some good games to play with folks...
I thought you mentioned there being some sort of Scrabble game? I guess I just haven't found that bit yet. Cuz that... Well, that sounds kinda fun. :)
yeah, i'm sorry about scrabulous; i'd really like to have played that with you. :(
i've seen some people play "wordchain," though. usually i wait till i see someone playing something before i try it myself, but you can browse the facebook applications by choosing "edit" on the applications module and then the button "browse more applications." look under the gaming section for what looks like sapiofun. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home