Thursday, May 19, 2005

I've seen it. And I am still in shock. It's... A lot.

This is going to be controversial -- and I mean beyond the geek contingent. George has thrown a rock at a very stingy hornet's nest, and... Where's it going to drop?

The story arc, while forced, was genuinely compelling for much, maybe most, of the film. The one scene we've waited for since the ROTJ novel -- is truly horrifying (intentionally). There are scenes that are ruined -- and I blame bad direction. George cannot direct. It's a job that he needs to let go of -- he did well when he passed it off to others for Empire & Jedi. There's a scene with pretty amazing symbolism. And there's a scene that I thought was pretty gutsy. And there's a scene that is unforgivable.

...And I am still in shock. My heart and head feel like they've been put through a blender. This, after 15 hours in line (which has its own fair share of stories to relate), leaves me with a headache and nearly unable to speak.

But the real question is: What does this mean for me? Star Wars is about an arc in my life, and nostalgia, and my family history, and a mythos deeply ingrained into who I am. How is this ending going to be integrated?

Who am I now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home