Oof. Didn't get up til 1:45pm. Went to bed by 2:15am; so you'd think I'd be all exuberant with nigh 12 hours sleep. J slept over; so interrupted snoozies. By the time I really got moving, there were only maybe 3 hours left in the afternoon.
But I put them to good use. Reading my last post, gl. pushed me over the edge with her response: "hello, schmoo. go for a walk, already! :)" So up onto the butte I went. First time in two months, I think. Remember what happened up there?
Fire.
Back on Sept 28, I blogged that there was some kind of fire up there. ...The fire damage doesn't look that bad. My impression is that it was a fast-moving grass fire. It looks like trees and bushes survived OK. Blackberry bushes were just completely wiped out, though. The ground is blackened; but new green grass has already poked up. A year from now, you might not even know that the area burned.
But it was a big burn. There's a large loop at the top, and pretty much everything within it got burned. There's a fairly large area to the SW of the loop that also got burned. The apple orchard seems unharmed, but the tree line seems a little farther back than I recalled. Could some of the trees have been lost, and they've already chopped them up and moved them out? I don't think so... The bark of the other trees doesn't seem blackened -- although the grass beneath them apparently burned.
...From the look of it, the trail / road that encircled the butte's highest area seems to have helped constrain the flames. Repair work has begun; hay has been spread over several areas.
Met up with J after the walk for our weekly comfy chair chat. Yay! Call it vitamin chat; Sven gets all pasty and deficient without it.
Then, balancing serious with fun, we went to see "The Italian Job" at the Laurelhurst for cheap. Not deep, but adequately enjoyable. Got all sugar-buzzed on Reese's Pieces.
And then -- oh my gawd -- on the way back to the car, I saw a poster for a Veda Hille concert. Silly postering people forgot to put the date! So, getting home I checked online. Lucky too -- the concert is tomorrow!! ...Wouldn't have given it a second glance, but gl. just lent me Hille's CDs like last week. MUST go. A moral imperative, right?
Behind on responding to email. Really, nothing else is that bad. Yesterday was just disorientation, a little panic. Bills-wise, the one thing that is really must-do is forwarding the bills for the dishwasher repairs on to the (old) land lords. Hey, did I mention, as of like Monday I've got new land lords? Think I'll be writing checks to one name; but two folks came together to the walk-through, when the house was on the market. Have a suspicion it's a gay couple -- which would suit me just fine, thank you.
Apparently J's becoming a thesis widow. Sounds like Aaron is moving toward just living at the studio. From what little I've heard about the agony of trying to settle on a topic, everyone should wish him luck. [Everyone? Well, all two of you, I 'spose... Poetic license?]
Have I mentioned how the Buffy soundtrack, "Once more, with feeling" has stuck my brain in a cage with big iron bars? Can't get the damn thing out of my mind, and I just don't care! It's one of those soundtracks that lends itself to quoting. Dramatically.
Right now I'm listening to the Party Monster soundtrack. Heard it playing at Music Millenium, thought it was cool and would give it a try. I don't know club music, but I've been enjoying it. Must remember: Party Monster plays at Cinema 21 Oct 24 - Oct 30. I know Leopoldo's interested; don't recall if gl. expressed much interest. ...It's got Seth Green. Rowr.
But I put them to good use. Reading my last post, gl. pushed me over the edge with her response: "hello, schmoo. go for a walk, already! :)" So up onto the butte I went. First time in two months, I think. Remember what happened up there?
Fire.
Back on Sept 28, I blogged that there was some kind of fire up there. ...The fire damage doesn't look that bad. My impression is that it was a fast-moving grass fire. It looks like trees and bushes survived OK. Blackberry bushes were just completely wiped out, though. The ground is blackened; but new green grass has already poked up. A year from now, you might not even know that the area burned.
But it was a big burn. There's a large loop at the top, and pretty much everything within it got burned. There's a fairly large area to the SW of the loop that also got burned. The apple orchard seems unharmed, but the tree line seems a little farther back than I recalled. Could some of the trees have been lost, and they've already chopped them up and moved them out? I don't think so... The bark of the other trees doesn't seem blackened -- although the grass beneath them apparently burned.
...From the look of it, the trail / road that encircled the butte's highest area seems to have helped constrain the flames. Repair work has begun; hay has been spread over several areas.
Met up with J after the walk for our weekly comfy chair chat. Yay! Call it vitamin chat; Sven gets all pasty and deficient without it.
Then, balancing serious with fun, we went to see "The Italian Job" at the Laurelhurst for cheap. Not deep, but adequately enjoyable. Got all sugar-buzzed on Reese's Pieces.
And then -- oh my gawd -- on the way back to the car, I saw a poster for a Veda Hille concert. Silly postering people forgot to put the date! So, getting home I checked online. Lucky too -- the concert is tomorrow!! ...Wouldn't have given it a second glance, but gl. just lent me Hille's CDs like last week. MUST go. A moral imperative, right?
Behind on responding to email. Really, nothing else is that bad. Yesterday was just disorientation, a little panic. Bills-wise, the one thing that is really must-do is forwarding the bills for the dishwasher repairs on to the (old) land lords. Hey, did I mention, as of like Monday I've got new land lords? Think I'll be writing checks to one name; but two folks came together to the walk-through, when the house was on the market. Have a suspicion it's a gay couple -- which would suit me just fine, thank you.
Apparently J's becoming a thesis widow. Sounds like Aaron is moving toward just living at the studio. From what little I've heard about the agony of trying to settle on a topic, everyone should wish him luck. [Everyone? Well, all two of you, I 'spose... Poetic license?]
Have I mentioned how the Buffy soundtrack, "Once more, with feeling" has stuck my brain in a cage with big iron bars? Can't get the damn thing out of my mind, and I just don't care! It's one of those soundtracks that lends itself to quoting. Dramatically.
Right now I'm listening to the Party Monster soundtrack. Heard it playing at Music Millenium, thought it was cool and would give it a try. I don't know club music, but I've been enjoying it. Must remember: Party Monster plays at Cinema 21 Oct 24 - Oct 30. I know Leopoldo's interested; don't recall if gl. expressed much interest. ...It's got Seth Green. Rowr.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home