Saturday, July 31, 2004

Yesterday G & I had our first official Burning Man prep day. Reviewed our respective checklists. Went out research-shopping around town. We got a bunch of things chosen, if not purchased, including the main goal of the day: the tent.

Other items that have been picked out: a swiss army knife replacement for G's that was confiscated at the airport; an ultra-rad eye-shaped headlamp for me; a collapsable cube for gray water; an inflatable mattress; slip-on shoes; maybe a folding table. Haven't decided on a camel-back yet. That'll be a tough decision -- but we found a place that sells them a lot cheaper than at, well, REI.

Goggles remain the big concern, but I think we know where to look: army surplus. Or maybe asking about "motorcycle goggles".

G & I went to a showing of the movie "Without You I'm Nothing" at Panorama. Apparently "9ish" means 10pm. (Grr.) The movie was pretty so-so... But I got to dance for a while, which I was surprised to find myself craving. That pleasant quiet on the inside, when everything around you is boomingly loud. Very glad that we remembered to go home and pick up ear plugs beforehand.

Saw "I, Robot" on Thursday with G and mph & Leopoldo. I had sooo much fun! The movie was fine, if not original. I could have a really good time going through it and pointing out where all the interesting bits had been stolen from in recent films. But it was pretty. And really quite well paced -- never found myself thinking about time. In fact, was surprised that it was already over when the thing ended.

I laughed out loud over and over again. Unfortunately for the producers, never when they intended me to. "Ha! Look, he's shouting in slow-mo!" ... "Oh my god! We're supposed to swallow that Will Smith is surfing on a door!" ... "Hee! He's accurately shooting things with guns in both hands while riding a motorcycle through the air!" Oh my goodness, it was hilarious.

Went with G to the Freecycle swap-meet, "Freecyclelandia", on Thursday before the movie. Very poor signage, and all-in-all a pretty bad turn out -- with only maybe four or five freecyclers in attendance. Still, we managed to get rid of some of our crap, and pick up some neat crap from other people. It was being held during the "Last Thursday" Alberta Street arts fair -- so we did get to walk around that. That was pretty neat.

Had a meeting with the departing Development Director and the new head of the board's new Development Committee on Wednesday. I was worried before. My concerns about where we're at are worse now. Very stressful, don't want to think about it.

Today I'm doing secret stuff. Seeeeeeeeecret. G's birthday is Wednesday -- and I have a surprise or two planned. Hee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home