Wednesday, February 18, 2004

OK, hi. I've been so sporadic with postings to Planet Sven, I doubt if anyone even checks here anymore. But I want to assure you, I do mean to be posting here, and I will keep on trying to find ways to weave this venue into my daily workflow.

I was in Seattle with G this weekend -- wonderful time. Saw a one-act called "For the Love of Betty" on Saturday. It was part of a series of one-acts called "A Comedy of Eros" by local playwrights. The author, Dan Green, is a friend of G's -- seeing his piece was the putative reason for our trip.

It was a very artsy weekend: went to both the Seattle Art Museum and the Frye Art Museum. Also saw the Seattle Underground Tour, went to Snoqualmie falls (featured in "Twin Peaks"), and an insanely good vegetarian-only restaurant called Carmelita's.

I arrive back in Portland happy from the weekend, but feeling like I'm behind on everything in my life. Which, I'd like to point out, is not true. It just felt like it. And really just for the first day back. Which is predictable.

I've spent some time this morning catching up with my personal journaling, and have some ideas about how to proceed with my various projects. In writing, I recognized that travel and holidays always disrupt schedules -- and the past two weeks have really been about both. Last week, the trip to Seattle. The previous week, prep and execution for an unbirthday, a six-month anniversary (counting from Aug 7), and Valentine's day.

The craziest idea I'm considering is to try a daily "vow of silence", that lasts from when I wake up until noon. I've already got a principle in place (not always observed) that I don't answer the phone before noon. The purpose of this principle would be to put me in a good place for writing. Of course, I'm hesitant about how it would affect my lovers... But I think they'd be supportive if I set this up well. [I'm tempted to try a vow of silence from 12midnight to 12noon each day, which would encourage going to bed earlier, but that's perhaps going too far for a first experiment.]

The second idea that is of use... I did some good planning work back about three weeks ago -- developed the workflow noted on Planet Sven previously. It seems to me that there are some activities that should be worked into the weekly template as regular commitments: cleaning, and PWCL work. Today's insight is that these are the only two items that should be regular commitments. Everthing else, like writing, I should endeavor to work into the schedule each week -- but they shouldn't be treated like meetings, like obligations, in the same way as these two things.

Relating to that, I'm seeing that both pwcl work and cleaning are strongly related to location. I need to reestablish a pwcl workspace at home. And housecleaning needs to happen at... well, home. I've been becoming more mobile in my life -- what with my portable laptop computer, and with spending a lot of time at G's house. This is not me saying "I need to spend more time at home"; I'm just realizing that certain activities are not mobile. They have to occur at home, and I have to get myself back to my house in order to do them.

More writing about scheduling. Not very exciting, I realize. But that's what's on my mind today, and it's going to effect one or two of my gentle readers personally, so... hey.

It's been said a lot between us during the past few months: "'Home' has become a very flexible term." I'm liking that.

A lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home